1. Collection and Use of Your Personal Information
We collect your Personal Information on the Site to enhance the services we offer you, maintain and improve the Site, protect the security of you and the Site, comply with legal obligations, and inform you about other services and products that may be available through us, Hitachi Group Companies, and our marketing partners. We collect Personal Information about you when you interact with or use services offered on by us, such as:
- Apply for a job;
- Submit comments, reviews, or other user-generated content;
- Register for a live or virtual event;
- Connect or interact with us through social networks (e.g., Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter) or Live Chat;
- Request to be contacted about any of our products, services or solutions;
- Request access to restricted or password-protected areas of the Site;
- Request customer or technical support; and
- Prevent fraud and allow for safer web experiences.
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of Personal Information about you, which we have organized generally as follows:
- Identity data, including name, date of birth, gender, or other similar identifiers;
- Contact data, including postal or billing address, email address and telephone or mobile numbers;
- Financial data, including payment card details;
- Transaction data, including details about payments to and from you and other details of products or services you have purchased from us;
- Technical data, including IP address, your login data, browser type and version, time zone setting and location, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform, and the device you are using (for the mobile version of our Site);
- Profile data, including your username and password, purchases or orders made by you, your interests, preferences, account settings, feedback and survey responses;
- Usage data, including information about how you use our Site, products and services; and
- Marketing and communications data, including your preferences in receiving marketing from us and our third parties and your communication preferences.
Even if you do not send us any Personal Information, we collect, use and share certain non-personal information about how you use our Site. This non-personal information cannot identify you, and is used for statistical purposes.
We do not collect any special categories of Personal Information about you (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data). Moreover, we do not collect any information about criminal convictions and offenses.
2. How Your Personal Information is Collected
We use a variety of methods to collect Personal Information from and about you, including through:
Direct interactions. You may give us your identity, contact, and financial information by filling in forms, registering for an event, or by corresponding with us. This includes Personal Information you provide when you:
- purchase our products or services;
- contact us to request customer support related to one of our products or services;
- register for one of our virtual or live events;
- subscribe to any of our services or publications, including marketing publications;
- fill out a survey; or
- provide feedback or contact us.
Third parties or publicly available sources. We may receive Personal Information about you from various third parties, including technical data from analytics providers such as Google based in the US.
3. Use and Sharing of Your Personal Information
Whatever the purpose may be – whether we share with service providers or other external entities – we only process and share your Personal Information to the extent reasonably necessary to fulfill your requests and meet our legitimate business and legal objectives. When we disclose Personal Information to external entities to perform support services for us, we establish by contract that they may access your Personal Information only for the purposes of performing those support services. We may also use what we know about you to offer you other products and services. We may combine your online information with information collected from offline or online sources, or information we already have. We may also use and disclose certain Personal Information to Hitachi Group Companies and others for any purpose allowed by law.
Hitachi Business Activities. We generally process and may disclose your Personal Information to others to:
- Authenticate authorized users;
- Market our products and services to you;
- Facilitate Hitachi Group Companies’ marketing of their products and services to you;
- Perform certain transactions initiated by you;
- Respond to your questions, complaints, or reviews of our products;
- Send you communications about online transactions, product information, ads and promotions, electronic newsletters, or other notices you requested or offers tailored to you;
- Enable our advertisers to provide you with more personalized content, and track the effectiveness of certain advertising campaigns;
- Comply with applicable law, obey judicial orders, cooperate with law enforcement authorities, or prevent any suspected illegal activities;
- Help us run our business; or
- For any other everyday business purposes, such as product development and Site administration.
Most commonly, we will use your Personal Information in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform the contract we are about to enter into or have entered into with you.
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of Hitachi Group Companies or third parties) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
Generally, we do not rely on “consent” as a legal basis for processing your Personal Information under the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), although we will get your consent before sending third party direct marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in any email you receive from us or by contacting us.
We have set out below, in a table format, a description of all the ways we plan to use your Personal Information, and which of the legal bases we rely on to do so. We have also identified what our legitimate interests are where appropriate.
Note that we may process your Personal Information for more than one lawful basis depending on the specific purpose for which we are using such Personal Information. Please contact us if you need details about the specific legal basis we are relying on to process your Personal Information where more than one basis has been set out in the table below.
||Type of data
||Lawful basis for processing including basis of legitimate interest
|To register you as a new customer
||(a) Identity (b) Contact
||Performance of a contract with you
|To process and deliver your order including:(a) Manage payments, fees and charges(b) Collect and recover money owed to us
||(a) Identity(b) Contact (c) Financial (d) Transaction (e) Marketing and Communications
||(a) Performance of a contract with you (b) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to recover debts due to us)
|To manage our relationship with you which will include:(a) Registering you for virtual or in person events(b) Notifying you about changes to our terms or this Privacy Statement(c) Asking you to leave a review or take a survey
||(a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Profile (d) Marketing and Communications
||(a) Performance of a contract with you (b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation(c) Necessary for our legitimate interests (to keep our records updated and to study how customers use our products/services)
|To administer and protect our business and the Site (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data)
||(a) Identity(b) Contact(c) Technical
||(a) Necessary for our legitimate interests (for running our business, provision of administration and IT services, network security, to prevent fraud and in the context of a business reorganization or group restructuring exercise)(b) Necessary to comply with a legal obligation
|To deliver relevant Site content and advertisements to you and measure or understand the effectiveness of the advertising we serve to you
||(a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Profile (d) Usage (e) Marketing and Communications (f) Technical
||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to study how customers use our products/services, to develop them, to grow our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
|To use data analytics to improve the Site, products/services, marketing, customer relationships and experiences
||(a) Technical (b) Usage
||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to define types of customers for our products and services, to keep the Site updated and relevant, to develop our business and to inform our marketing strategy)
|To make suggestions and recommendations to you about products or services that may be of interest to you
||(a) Identity (b) Contact (c) Technical (d) Usage (e) Profile (f) Marketing and Communications
||Necessary for our legitimate interests (to develop our products/services and grow our business)
Disclosures of your Personal Information.
We may share your Personal Information with the parties identified below for the purposes set forth in the table above.
- Hitachi Group Companies.
- External third parties, such as service providers based in the U.S. who provide IT and system administration services; professional services such as banking, legal, and insurers; and marketing, communications, public relations, and event planning and implementation services.
- Third parties to whom we may choose to sell, transfer or merge parts of our business or our assets. Alternatively, we may seek to acquire other businesses or merge with them. If such a change occurs to our business or assets, then the new owners may use your Personal Information in the same manner provided in this Privacy Statement.
4. International Transfers
While our Site is hosted on servers located in the United States, we operate our business globally. We may process, store, and transfer the Personal Information we collect, in and to a country outside your own, and some of those countries may not provide the same level of data protection as is provided in your home country. We may also share your Personal Information within or among Hitachi Group Companies in order to properly route your product or service inquiries or to permit Hitachi Group Companies to directly market their products or services to you. By submitting your Personal Information or engaging with the Site, you consent to this transfer, storing, or processing. Whenever we transfer your Personal Information, we take measures to secure the transfer of your Personal Information. Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when we conduct international transfers of your Personal Information.
5. Your Rights Concerning Your Personal Information
Under certain circumstances, you have the following rights under data protection laws, including the GDPR, in relation to your Personal Information:.
- Request access to your Personal Information (commonly known as a "data subject access request"). This enables you to receive a copy of the Personal Information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the Personal Information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new data you provide to us.
- Request erasure of your Personal Information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove Personal Information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your Personal Information where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your Personal Information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your Personal Information to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request.
- Request restriction of processing of your Personal Information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your Personal Information in the following scenarios:
- If you want us to establish the data's accuracy.
- Where our use of the data is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it.
- Where you need us to hold the data even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims.
- You have objected to our use of your data but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Request the transfer of your Personal Information to you or to a third party. We will provide to you, or a third party you have chosen, your Personal Information in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated Personal Information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used your Personal Information to perform a contract with you.
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your Personal Information. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
You have the following choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information:
- Marketing Communications. We may use your identity, contact, technical, usage and profile data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we or Hitachi Group Companies decide which products, services, and offers may be relevant for you. You will receive marketing communications from us or Hitachi Group Companies if you have requested information from us or purchased products or services from us and you have not opted out of receiving such marketing communications. If you no longer wish to receive any marketing communications, remain on a mailing list to which you previously subscribed, or receive any other communication from us or Hitachi Group Companies, please follow the unsubscribe link in the relevant communications or contact us using the link at the bottom of the message. Even after you opt-out or update your marketing preferences, however, we may still contact you for transactional or informational purposes. These include, for example, customer service issues, returns or product-related inquiries, surveys or recalls, or any questions.
- Cookies and Similar Technologies. Please review your browser or computer settings for certain cookies and see below to exercise certain choices regarding cookies.
You are not required to provide all Personal Information identified in this Privacy Statement to use our Site, but certain aspects of our Site will not be available to you. However, you can use our services without consenting to non-essential cookies or direct marketing emails; the only consequence is that our products and services will be less communicated, we may not be able to provide the support you seek, and you may miss out on attractive promotions and news about our products and services.
6. Cookies and Similar Tracking Technologies
Information Collected Through Technology. Information is also obtained in other ways through technology we deploy. Some of this information may be linked to you personally. In accordance with applicable law, Hitachi uses and allows third parties to use essential and non-essential cookies, online tracking tools, web beacons, and similar technologies (collectively, “cookies”) on our Site. We process this information to help our Site function correctly, and better understand the needs of our customers.
Cookies on our Site generally fall into the following categories:
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: These are required for the operation of our Site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas. These cookies are session cookies which are erased when you close your browser.
- Analytical/Performance Cookies: These allow us to recognize and count the number of users of our Site and see how those users navigate through our Site. This helps to improve how our Site works, for example, by ensuring that users can find what they are looking for easily. These cookies are session cookies which are erased when you close your browser.
- Functional Cookies: These improve the functional performance of our Site and make it easier for you to use. For example, cookies are used to remember that you have previously visited the Site and asked to remain logged into it. These cookies are session cookies which are erased when you close your browser.
We also use certain information to identify new visitors to our Site, recognize returning visitors, advertise on other websites and mobile applications not affiliated with us, analyze the effectiveness of our advertisements, better understand our audience, customers, or other Site visitors, and determine whether you might be interested in new products or services.
Controlling Our Tracking Tools. Your browser may give you the ability to control cookies. How you do so, however, depends on your browser and the type of cookie. Certain browsers or browser plugins can be set to reject all browser cookies. If you configure your computer to block all cookies, you may disrupt certain web page features, and limit the functionality we can provide when you visit or use our Site. (e.g., we will not be able to provide you with searches that you have asked us to save). You can change your cookie settings at any time. Some browsers have a “Do Not Track” feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want to have your online activities tracked. These browser features are still not uniform, so we are not currently set up to respond to those signals.
Controlling Online Interest-Based Ads. We sometimes work with online advertising vendors to provide you with relevant and useful ads. This may include ads served on or through our Site. This may also include ads served on other companies’ websites. These ads may be based on information collected by us or third parties. For example, your postal code may be used to target an ad for people in your area. These ads may also be based on your activities on our Site or on third party websites.
For more information about our ad service provider and its cookies, including information about how to opt out of these technologies, you may visit http://optout.aboutads.info. In addition, users may prevent Google’s collection of data generated by your use of the Site (including your IP address) by downloading and installing a Browser Plugin available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en.
The security and confidentiality of your Personal Information matters to us. That’s why we have adequate technical, administrative, and physical controls in place to protect your Personal Information from unauthorized access, use, and disclosure. We also review our security procedures periodically to consider appropriate new technology and updated methods. Even so, despite our reasonable efforts, no security measure is ever perfect or impenetrable.
8. Data Retention
Depending on the service you require, we will retain your Personal Information only for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Statement or as set out in our contracts with our business partners, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by a law that applies to us.
This Site is not intended or directed to children under the age of 16, and we do not knowingly collect any Personal Information, or knowingly track the use of our Site, from such children. If Hitachi has actual knowledge that Personal Information about a child under 16 years old has been collected, then Hitachi will take the appropriate steps to remove or disable that Personal Information.
10. Changes or other updates to this Privacy Statement
We may amend this Privacy Statement at any time. If we make any material change in how we collect, use, disclose, or otherwise process Personal Information, we will prominently post an updated Privacy Statement on our Site. Any material changes to this Privacy Statement will be effective 10 days after our posting of the updated Privacy Statement or as otherwise required by applicable law. Where required to do so by law, we may seek your prior consent to any material changes we make to this Privacy Statement.
11. Contact Details for Comments and Questions
If you have any questions or concerns about this Privacy Statement or wish to correct or update your Personal Information, or unsubscribe from any updates you have requested, write to customer service at:
Hitachi America, Ltd.
707 WESTCHESTER AVE SUITE LL07
United States of America
+1 (914) 332.5800
You may also send us an email at email@example.com
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to your supervisory authority, for example the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority for data protection issues (www.ico.org.uk). We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the relevant authority so please first contact us directly.
Privacy Notice for California Residents
This Privacy Notice for California Residents supplements the information contained in Hitachi’s above Privacy Statement and applies to all visitors, users, and others who reside in the State of California. We adopt this notice to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA).
Personal Information Collection and Purposes of Use
Hitachi through this Site collects and uses the following categories of personal information regarding California residents: name, phone number, title, country/region and email address for consumers that ask questions, register for an event, submit inquiries or information on our Site related to Hitachi, its products and services and name, email address, mobile and home phone numbers, and residential address and mailing address for consumers that have requested customer support for the following purposes of collection: to respond to such consumer’s questions about Hitachi, its products or services or to provide customer support for a product purchased.
Our Personal Information Handling Practices in the Preceding 12 Months
In the preceding 12 months, we have collected through the Site the following categories of personal information from California residents name, email address, title, country/region and phone number for consumers that have asked questions on our Site related to Hitachi, its products and services, and name, email, home and mobile phone numbers, and residential and mailing addresses for those in need of customer support for a product purchased.
We have collected through the Site that personal information from the following categories of sources: directly from those consumers submitting inquiries on our Site, those that have sent us emails, or those that have called Hitachi directly for customer support.
We have collected through the Site that personal information for the following purposes: to answer your questions related to Hitachi, its products or services and/or to provide customer support.
We have shared personal information with the following categories of third parties: third party service providers in order to respond to your inquiries and with whom we engage to diagnose, address and/or resolve your request for customer support for a product purchased.
We have collected through the Site the following specific pieces of personal information: email address, title, country/region mobile and home phone numbers, name and residential and mailing address for the reasons specified herein.
In the preceding 12 months, we have not sold personal information about consumers.
In the preceding 12 months, Hitachi disclosed consumers’ personal information only if necessary to our third party service providers or Hitachi Group Companies to respond to your inquiries about Hitachi, its products or services and for the purpose of diagnosing, addressing and/or resolving requests from a consumer for a product purchased.
California Residents’ Privacy Rights
California residents have rights to request access to or deletion of their personal information. If you are a California resident, you can submit such access or deletion requests with us as follows: contact us by email at or toll free at 800-HITACHI. The Company will undertake to verify that the consumer making the request is the consumer (or by a consumer on behalf of the consumer’s minor child or is authorized by the consumer) about whom the Company has collected personal information by matching the identifying information that the consumer (or by a consumer on behalf of the consumer’s minor child or is authorized by the consumer) has provided with the personal information maintained by the Company or through the use of a third party service provider.
We will not discrimination against you for exercising any of your rights under the CCPA.
Shine the Light Law(found here: Privacy Notice for California Residents)
California's "Shine the Light" law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Site that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to or write us at: Hitachi America, Ltd., Branding and Corporate Communications Group, 707 WESTCHESTER AVE SUITE LL07, WHITE PLAINS, NY 10604.